Muir Woods National Park Private SUV Tour
Daily Muir Woods AM & PM Tours
"Choose Quality Over Quantity"
- The Giant Redwoods in Muir Woods
- Travel on California scenic highway 1
- Guided tour through Mill Valley & Muir Beach
- Visit the picturesque coastal town of Sausalito
- Golden Gate Bridge sky views from Marin headlands
- Add Alcatraz, a Bay Cruise or a San Francisco City tour
- Combine with a wine tour, hot air balloon or a Safari tour
- Combine with a Horseback or our "Mt Escapade trip"
- See our new green tour to Point Reyes Natural Wonders
Description of Muir Woods and Sausalito Guided Tour
Why should you visit Muir Woods National Monument? Why choose a private Tour?
Muir Woods National Monument is home to the Coastal Giant Redwoods, the tallest trees on the planet. Did you know that these redwoods are so tall that three of them would equal the Eiffel Tower in Paris!
Sad to say, we all know how inconvenient group and bus tours can be. By choosing a private tour, you are choosing quality over quantity. You will be escorted by a State certified tour guide, not just a simple driver. Our experienced tour guides will take you through these giant redwoods to share with you the mystery of these ancient trees. Our tour guides are multitask: they will be your driver, tour guide, entertainer, photographer and they ensure your satisfaction at every step of this exciting trip.
We provide top of the line 4X4 SUVs and limousines in addition to our luxury vans. In addition, our tour guides will offer you quality time and extra photo stops along the way. We customize our private tours to your particular travel needs and expectations. We travel on the back roads where other tour operators do not go. For families with kids, we add attractions to the tour that catch both kids' and parents' attention. Our Muir Woods tours include a side trip to Muir Woods Beach overlook. You will also visit Sausalito and Marin Headlands which offers breathtaking views over the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay. Our private tours offer you much more flexibility with lots of quality time. Our prices include all taxes and Muir Woods entrance costs with no hidden fees. We offer daily AM and PM private tours by SUV, vans or limousines. Our 4X4 SUV tours are the most popular and are highly recommended.
Please feel free to check out our below tour itinerary to learn more about our daily custom tours to Muir Woods and Sausalito.
Our Muir Woods and Sausalito Tours Prices
By SUV: or by Limousine2 participants minimum are required on our Private Tours
3 people minimum are required on our Semi Private tours
|Tour Prices: All taxes are included- No hidden fees! No overtime charges!||Semi Private Tour Price
|Totally Private tour Price
|Muir Woods National park Entrance fees||All taxes are included No hidden fees|
**Note** : Our decreased and/or discounted prices noted above are based on the number of participants in your own party on these Semi-Private tours. No discount or refund will apply when sharing the SUV or the VAN with other parties who may sign up for the same tour.
By booking a semi-private SUV or VAN tour, you agree to share the required vehicle with other customers. Also you understand that this guided tour might be narrated in two or more foreign languages in addition to English. Nevertheless, we guarantee your tour even if no other participants sign up for that tour as long as the minimum number of participants is acquired.
You may wish to consider our Private Tours if you need more privacy, comfort and flexibility and do not wish to share the trip with other customers.
- Daily departure from San Francisco.
- Our Muir Woods AM Tour is from 9 am to 1:30 PM
- Our Muir Woods PM Tour is from 2 pm to 6:30 PM
- All our private tours can be customized to meet your tour needs & schedule.
- Duration: 4 hours approximately.
- Included:all taxes and Muir Woods entrance fees are included. A Luxury SUV, tour narration by a State certified tour guide, pick & drop off are also included.
- Not included: Meals & driver's gratuity.
- Semi-private means you share the SUV tour with other customers. Private means 100% privacy.
- 2 persons minimum are required to conduct our private Muir Woods tour.
- 3 persons minimum are required to conduct our semi-private tour. For a party of 2 persons or less, you can add your name on the waiting list but that doesn't guarantee your tour. If no other participants sign up for this particular tour, we will cancel your trip and process a full refund back to your credit card. Please be patient.
- Our limousines tours are based on a flat rate of $ 119 + tax per hour. 4 hour minimum are required
- To Charter an SUV, Van, mini bus or a Motor coach ,please sent your travel inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may stay in Sausalito for lunch and shopping and return to San Francisco by ferry (tickets not included).
Our Van tour prices
|Tour Prices:||Regular price per person||Online discount per person||Online price per person|
|1 to 4 Guest||$114.00||$25.00||$89.00|
|5 to 9 Guest||$109.00||$30.00||$79.00|
|10 to 14 Guest||$104.00||$35.00||$69.00|
|Charter our luxury van totally private||totally private||1 to 6 persons||$599.00|
|Charter our luxury van totally private||totally private||7 to 14 persons||$959.00|
- Daily Departures to Muir Woods can be combined with our new adventure to Sausalito, Stinson beach & Point Reyes National Seashore –Horseback riding, biking or kayaking around Point Reyes . They can be added to your tour for additional fees.
- Duration: 4 hours approximately. We can also customize your tour and remove, add sights or activities to your adventure based on your preference and own schedule.
- Pick-up time: daily custom Morning tours leaving at 9 AM and returning round 1.30 pm. Our Afternoon tours leave at 2 pm and returning round 6.30 pm.
- Included: All taxes are included. Muir Woods entrance fees included.
Professional tour guide driving top of line vehicles including SUVs, Limousines and luxury vans. Complimentary pick up and drop off.
- Not included: Food & driver's gratuity.
- You can secure your booking directly through our secure reservation page (click here) and scroll down to "Step 1-Tour Information" section to choose your tour from the "select tour" drop down where you select your preferred tour, date & number of persons. Please fill out the credit card information under section "Step 2-Cardholder Information".
- Lastly, it's very important that you re-enter your hotel or pick up location and the date of your tour under section "Step 3-Submit Reservation". Please check your email you entered on our reservation form to get our merchant receipt, generated ONLY when transactions are approved! We will also send you a tour voucher confirming your tour, date and pick up time.
- When transactions are not approved, we simply don't get any information with this regard and therefore, you will not hear from us. Please double check and ensure you get an email from our Merchant account sent to you from: "Authorize.Net Auto-Receipt" <email@example.com>
- If you don't get an email from <firstname.lastname@example.org>, please start over with a different credit card and enter the exact billing information related to the required credit card. You may also contact us via email to inquire about your transaction if you don't get this above merchant receipt. However, if you do receive this above email, there will be no need to contact us.
- If you have a special request regarding private custom and large group tours, please contact us or send us a travel request so we assist you with your tour reservation. We will provide you with the with a promotion code to enter on our secure reservation page to take advantage of our group rates, and make your online secure payment to save your time and money!
Our Tour Itinerary and Schedule
Our Muir Woods AM Tour is from 9 AM to 1:00 PM
Our Muir Woods PM Tour is from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM
9:00 AM Pick Up
Pick up from your hotel in downtown San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf, Sausalito and Marin County. Our tour guide will come to your hotel to meet and greet you with a sign displaying your first and last name.
Note: The pick-up and drop off time may vary based on the reservations we already have in the system prior to your booking(it is a question of 30 minutes less or more)
9:00 AM - 9:30 AM Drive to Muir Woods
Your tour guide will pick you up at 9 am and head north to Muir Woods National Park through the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. Your tour guide will drive you then on the Panoramic Highway to Muir Woods to enjoy the views over Marin County, San Francisco Bay Area and the Pacific Ocean. An optional side trip may take you to Muir Beach overlook.
9:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Roam through this ancient
forest of Redwoods
We will get to Muir Woods National Monument round 9:45 am. You will first enjoy an exciting guided tour before you roaming through this ancient forest, home of the majestic Giant Redwoods. Did you know that these redwoods are so tall that three of them would equal the Eiffel Tower in Paris! Capture the serenity, beauty, fauna and flora of this amazing national monument. The park offers numerous smooth hiking trails along the creek, a gift-coffee shop and public restrooms.
11:00 AM - 11:30 AM Visit Muir Beach Overlook
After Muir Woods guided tour, our tour guide will drive you through Kent Canyon to the beautiful Muir Beach overlook. Muir Beach Overlook is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. This breathtaking vista point overlooks a picturesque quiet cove; a hidden beach and beautiful lagoons. We will take a short hike through this Cliffside park to a rocky point on the Pacific Oceanside. This short but breathtaking overlook trail follows a narrow crest of a coastal promontory where the land sheers off dramatically on both sides down to the Ocean about hundreds of feet below. On clear days, you can see not only San Francisco but also as far as the Farallon Islands. That's why Muir Beach Overlook is a meeting place for nature and whales lovers to watch these giant marine mammals swimming by during their winter migrations. It's also a bird watching point including red-tailed hawks , osprey, ravines, turkey vulture, and even seals often laying down on the rocks. Thousands of migratory monarch butterflies can also be seen here during autumn. Visitors may not know but this scenic overlook is located on the San Andrea Fault and furnished with bunkers! The clear views from this high coastal bluff led the US Army to build these bunkers during World War II immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor when many in California feared San Francisco or Los Angeles would be the next target. Few miles away on scenic highway 1, you can see the infamous Slide Ranch on the Oceanside. It's a green and ecology oriented farm where kids can milk goats and collect eggs as part of their educational school programs.
11:45 AM Mill Valley & Tamalpais High School
Mill Valley was inhabited by the Coast Miwok for over 10.000 years before the Spaniards and the Mexicans settled in. This small charming community is located 5 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County. It's characterized by its scenic views, marshlands & wooded canyons. Mill Valley is known for being a village with a strong artistic heritage & home to many present & former musicians, authors, actors, poets & TV personalities including John Lennon, Sammy Hagar, Janis Joplin, Jack London, Kathleen Quinlan, Michael Tucker, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman , Eve Arden and Mariel Hemingway . It's also home to Mill Valley Film Festival & was immortalized by the song "Mill Valley" (recorded in 1970).
In July 2005, CNN ranked Mill Valley tenth on its list of the 100 Best Places to live in the United States! Tamalpais High School is located in Mill Valley & named after nearby Mount Tamalpais, which rises more than 2,500 feet above Mill Valley. Some of the notable alumni & students who studied at this high school are: Joe DeMaestri, Daniel Caldwell, Signy Coleman, Tupac Shakur, & the Actress Kathleen Quinlan who attended this Tamalpais High School where she began her acting career in George Lucas' "American Graffiti" that was also filmed in this school. Some of the other notable who live in Marin County today are: Barbara Boxer, Andre Agassi, George Lucas, Sean Penn and Carlos Santana among others.
12:00 PM - 12:30 PM Visit Sausalito- a Mediterranean-Style coastal town
We are now heading toward the picturesque Sausalito where you can enjoy a walk downtown this charming Mediterranean-style coastal town, filled with history, culture, & beautiful waterfront shops. Stay an hour or spend the rest of the day at this enchanting village for a romantic dinner and return to San Francisco on the ferry (tickets are not included). Picture Sausalito's cliff-hanging cottages and houseboat that contributes to Sausalito's Mediterranean ambiance.
History of Sausalito: Sausalito was once a settlement for the native Coast Miwok . The Spanish explorer Don José de Cañizares who reached Sausalito in 1775 looking for a suitable anchorage for vessels, reported friendly native Miwoks & a wide populations of deer, elk, bear, seals and otters. In 1776, the Spaniards led by Juan Bautista de Anza (who has already opened the overland route from Mexico to California), decided to establish the first settlement in the Presidio of San Francisco instead of Sausalito. During the Mexican Era (1821-1846), the British mariner William Richardson was the first to develop the site of Sausalito as a private rancho. By 1825, Richardson had assumed Mexican citizenship, converted to Catholicism and married the daughter of Don Ignacio Martínez, commandant of the Presidio to acquire lands including Sausalito. In the post-Gold Rush era, Sausalito played a major role in leisure, commercial and even military Maritime transportation where many fishermen & wealthy yachting enthusiasts had already settled in Sausalito. This era came to an end in May 1937 with the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge bypassing Sausalito and making these large-scale ferry operations redundant. But Sausalito will soon receive a steady stream of visitors thanks to this new bridge. In 1942, Sausalito Yacht Club was founded to promote yachting for both racing and cruising.
Sausalito & the "House Boat Wars"
When the United States entered World War II, Fort Barry on Point Bonita was reoccupied. Fort Baker also hosted large numbers of troops. Also, a major shipyard was sited along the shoreline of Sausalito. After the War, a lively waterfront community grew out of the abandoned ship yards. By the late 1960s at least three house boat communities occupied the waterfront along and adjacent to Sausalito's shore. Beginning in the 1970s, an intense struggle erupted between house boat residents and developers. It was dubbed the "House Boat Wars". Forced removals by county authorities and sabotage by some on the waterfront characterized this struggle. This long fight pitted the waterfront against the wealthy "Hillside community" .Today three house boat communities still exist — Galilee Harbor in Sausalito, Waldo Point Harbor and the Gates Cooperative. Today, the houseboat community consists of more than 400 houseboats of various shapes, sizes, and values, along the north end of town, approximately two miles from downtown. It's in a houseboat at Waldo Point in Sausalito where the singer Otis Redding wrote his famous "Dock of the Bay" in 1967: " I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay - Watching the ships roll in…the tide roll away - I left my home in Georgia - Headed for the 'Frisco bay - Just to make this dock my home"
Sausalito in the media & its Notable residents
Sausalito featured in many novels and movies including ; The Lady from Shanghai(Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth ) in a section of the 1892 novel "The Wrecker" by Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osborn, in the opening of "The Sea-Wolf" by Jack London is set on a ferryboat travelling from Sausalito to San Francisco, in many scenes of the 1965 film "Dear Brigitte" with James Stewart, in the 1968 film Petulia when Richard Chamberlain fishing Julie Christie out of the water at the foot of Johnson Street, a scene from the 1972 movie, Play It Again, Sam which was shot using interiors of the Trident (the Horizons) restaurant and exteriors of the Spinnaker restaurant in Sausalito, actor Woody Allen and Tony Roberts were also in another movie filmed at the Spinnaker restaurant. Sausalito also featured in the 1978 novel "The House of God" and in Sausalito's fictional "Cetacean Institute" from Star Trek IV. Sausalito was & still home to wealthy and celebrities. Some of the past and present of these notable residents of Sausalito are: Gina Berriault, Gordon Onslow Ford, Phil Frank, cartoonist, Jerry Garcia, Actor Sterling Hayden, William Randolph Hearst, Otis Redding, Actress Julie Christie, Isabel Allende ( Chilean-American novelist), Tim Lincecum, (San Francisco Giants pitcher), Carlos Santana and Georges Lucas who both live few miles north of Sausalito.
12:30 PM - 12:45 PM Golden Gate Bridge Sky View Overlook
Return to San Francisco via the Golden Gate Bridge where a great photo stop is scheduled at Marin Headlands overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay area. Thanks to its astonishing colossal architectural and engineering dimensions, the Golden Gate Bridge becomes the most photographed bridge in the world. These spectacular and sweeping views over the Golden Gate and San Francisco Bay have drawn millions of tourists from all over the world. The Golden Gate Bridge inspired Hollywood most famous movies, such James Bond, in a "View to Kill" and much more.
12:45 PM - 1:15 PM Back to your hotel
Our tour guide will drive you back to your hotel via the famous Pacific Heights (optional), the most expensive district in San Francisco where some movies stars and celebrities live including Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Don Johnson, Danielle Steel, Nancy Pelosi, Francis Ford Coppola, Lars Ulrich and more. We may see some famous movie locations including the Victorian house where Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed. The Pacific Heights is home to beautiful Victorian houses we show on our daily San Francisco city tours.